We are a world class trusted thought leader, driven by a passionate diverse team of experts on Southeast Asia. We generate growth and value for our members and promote prosperity in ASEAN.
To deliver tangible results that support our members’ business objectives by removing constraints on trade and investment activities in ASEAN, and elevating the importance of the U.S.-ASEAN economic relationship to American and ASEAN public policy makers and business leaders.
Statement of Principles
- We believe that expansion of economic relations between the United States and ASEAN is in the strategic interests of all.
- We endorse the principles of ASEAN Centrality, regional integration, and a globally connected ASEAN Economic Community (AEC).
- We believe in free and fair trade and investment, and the pursuit of American free trade agreements with ASEAN countries with the ultimate goal of an ASEAN-U.S. Free Trade Agreement.
- We believe that the private sector is a vital partner for attaining sustainable and inclusive growth in Southeast Asia and for advancing social and economic development in the region.
Delivering proven business results in Southeast Asia
For more than 35 years, the US-ASEAN Business Council has been the premier advocacy organization for U.S. corporations operating within the dynamic Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN), serving as the leading voice of the U.S. private sector in promoting mutually beneficial trade and investment relationships between the United States and Southeast Asia. We believe opening and investing in the sustainability of efficient, resilient and competitive markets are critical to the continued growth of our member companies and innovation and job creation in the United States and Southeast Asia. ASEAN now represents more than 650 million people and a combined GDP of US $2.8 trillion across Brunei Darussalam, Cambodia, Indonesia, Laos, Malaysia, Myanmar, the Philippines, Singapore, Thailand and Vietnam. The Council’s members include many of the world’s largest American multinational corporations in numerous industries and range from those that have been working in Southeast Asia for more than a century to newcomers entering Asia’s most dynamic regional economic community.
- Washington, D.C.
- New York
- Kuala Lumpur
The Council's committees serve as umbrellas for our membership's initiatives at both the local and regional level. The committees include:
- Aerospace, Defense & Security
- Financial Services
- Food & Agriculture
- Health & Life Sciences
- Information & Communication Technology
- Transportation & Infrastructure
- Travel & Tourism
Over the next decade, by virtue of its growing middle class, infrastructure development and strategic position at the center of Pacific trade routes, ASEAN's ten members will enjoy growth rates among the most robust in the world. With more than 65 percent of ASEAN’s population under the age of 35, ASEAN’s demographic trends will continue to fuel growth well into the future. The Council is convinced on strategic grounds that America’s economic vitality depends on its success in the Asia-Pacific region, and ASEAN plays a central role.
The Council is the only U.S.-based organization recognized in the ASEAN charter as a supporting organization of ASEAN. In service to its members, the Council leads major business missions to all ten ASEAN countries, convenes multiple meetings with ASEAN heads of state and ministers and is the only U.S. organization to be given the privilege to raise member company concerns in consultations with the ASEAN Economic, Energy, Finance, Transport, Travel & Tourism, Health and Forestry & Agriculture Ministers, as well as the ASEAN Customs Directors-General, at their annual meetings.
Unmatched Assistance and Support — Use the Channel
With long-established personal and professional relationships with key ASEAN decision makers, the Council is able to arrange genuine dialogues, solve problems and facilitate opportunities in all types of market conditions, and provide market entry and exclusive advisory services. As a member-driven organization, we tailor our services to advance individual member needs.
Through the Council, members can:
- Gain insights into regional opportunities
- Increase expertise and access to information while advancing their companies
- Receive individual support for ASEAN operations