The US-ASEAN Business Council is the premier advocacy organization for U.S. multinational corporations operating within the Southeast Asia region, with offices in Washington, DC., New York, Bangkok, Hanoi, Jakarta, Kuala Lumpur, Manila and Singapore. The Council’s members include the largest U.S. companies working in ASEAN and range from newcomers to the region to companies that have been working in ASEAN for more than 100 years.
The Council’s members include more than 170 of the most successful and innovative corporations in the world, the majority of which are Fortune 200 companies, including Apple, Boeing, Citi, the Coca-Cola Company, Google, Meta, Microsoft and Procter & Gamble.
We are currently accepting internship applications for our thought leadership program: the Small and Medium Enterprises (SMEs) Initiatives. The intern will undertake substantive, administrative, and logistical support for the implementation of our activities including SME capacity-building workshops, the online ASEAN SME Academy platform, policy and advocacy dialogues, and a podcast. As one of the leading organizations in empowering SMEs in ASEAN, the Council is always evolving and innovating to build impactful programs to support SMEs.
The SME Program’s internship offers a wealth of academically enriching opportunities, such as working with well-skilled and deeply passionate individuals, some of whom are the leading experts in Southeast Asia on business, foreign policy, and international affairs.
The internship is on a full-time basis and based in Jakarta. The intern should be available to work 40 hours per week. Please note that the position is in the Council’s Jakarta office and no relocation assistance will be provided. All applicants must be eligible to work legally in Indonesia.
The US-ASEAN Business Council believes that a diverse and inclusive workforce drives innovation and creates a culture of respect and understanding. We are committed to fostering an environment where all employees feel valued, respected and supported, regardless of their race, ethnicity, gender, sexual orientation, age or background. We encourage applicants from all backgrounds to apply and to bring their unique perspectives to our organization.
- Support and assist preparation, organization, and execution of the SME capacity-building activities:
- Assist in the development of programming
- Support on administrative and logistical coordination
- Assist in designing for promotional material and supporting the marketing effort of the event
- Support and assist coordination of the ASEAN SME Academy
- Support the maintenance of the ASEAN SME Academy by assisting in coordination with the stakeholders (ex: assisting with meetings, taking meeting notes, and preparing meeting slides if needed)
- Support in preparing design materials for social media and email outreach
- Support in preparing copywriting for marketing effort
- Support the content management with other co-administrators in the ASEAN SME Academy
- Support and assist SME Newsletter
- News clipping collection
- Assist in drafting the newsletter
- Keep track of the press coverage of SME activities
- Regular US-ABC website updates
- Other Support
- Assist in the development of new programming, including the SME Digital Network, SME Podcast and US-ASEAN SME Symposium
- Take notes during and create a summary/key point of each meeting with stakeholders (members, government stakeholders, industry associations)
- Schedule arrangements for meetings with stakeholders
- Member contacts (updating members, sending invitations, member communication)
- Work directly with the Council staff throughout Southeast Asia and in Washington, DC to ensure all projects and daily workload are being completed and escalated to the supervisor as needed
Bachelor’s degree from an accredited university or college in International Relations, Communications, Social Sciences, Political Science, Business Administration, Economic Development, Development Studies, or a related field. A Master’s Degree is a major plus.
1-2 year of work experience, ideally in government affairs, project management, business development and/or multinational management.
Exposure to American companies, and/ or education in the United States is preferred.
Experience, ideally in government, government relations, project management, or business development preferred (through studies, internships, or otherwise). Knowledge of and experience working with the ASEAN government is a plus.
Must have strong research skills and be able to learn and absorb quickly.
Must be organized, detail-oriented, and be able to successfully handle multiple tasks at the same time.
Proficient in Windows Office software including Word, Excel, Outlook, and PowerPoint.
Must be fluent in English with excellent written and verbal communication skills.
Must be willing to occasionally work beyond normal business hours to speak with colleagues in the United States, participate in global staff calls and consult with both United States and Southeast Asia-based Council members.
Application Procedures, Deadlines and Internship Periods
To apply for an SME Program internship, please submit a resume, a cover letter and one brief writing example on the digital economy, entrepreneurship or public policy-related issues (no more than two pages) to email@example.com. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis. Only shortlisted candidates will be notified for an interview session in Jakarta.
The cover letter should include information about availability and a brief description of your academic and professional goals. Please include in the subject line of your email the position title which you are applying for. The position timeframe is flexible, but the ideal candidate should be available from mid-February to August 2023 (with the possibility of extension through 2023). The deadline for submission is February 17, 2023.