Reports to: Senior Vice President & Regional Managing Director
Based in: Singapore
The US-ASEAN Business Council is seeking an Associate to assist the Senior Vice President & Regional Managing Director on regional advocacy, as well as support our Membership and Communications/Public Relations teams. The Associate will manage and coordinate all engagements for the SVP, from drafting and reviewing talking points and formal remarks, to assisting with logistical arrangements and coordinating across the Council’s six regional offices and headquarters in Washington, DC. S/he will also serve as the regional point of contact on communications in the region, and coordinate closely with the Membership Team, working to develop relationships with both prospective and existing member companies, as well as press and media contacts across ASEAN.
Operations & Advocacy
- Facilitate and organize all aspects of SVP’s calendar and priorities, working closely with the Coordinator for Finance & Administration and regional teams to ensure internal alignment
- Prepare and/or review background briefs, talking points, formal letters and remarks for the SVP
- Manage the SVP’s regional workflow and priorities by managing his schedule and anticipating steps ahead.
- Work closely with country teams to ensure meetings are scheduled and confirmed in a timely manner.
- Preserve SVP’s contact lists, meeting notes, and records.
- Prepare for and follow up on internal and external meetings.
- Develop and maintain external partnerships with international, regional and local think-tanks, embassies, and other key stakeholders
- Stay updated on the Council’s key regional initiatives and advocacy wins, often working closely with in-country teams to understand and compile a summary of key issues to brief SVP
- Manage all aspects of the US-ASEAN Presidents’ Luncheon series, a bi-monthly session for the Council’s C-suite Asia-Pacific and/or ASEAN Presidents to engage with key diplomats, policymakers and thought-leaders on key issues facing the region
- Administer and manage confidential documents with discretion.
- Provide support for other staff members as required to ensure the smooth running of the office
- Draft key talking points, speeches and Q&As in support of SVP’s external engagement with stakeholders and the media. Support CEO on regional PR engagements as needed
- Develop and maintain relationships with key local and regional press and media
- Provide content for social media channels including Facebook, Twitter and LinkedIn
- Support media relation efforts including regional media list development, media monitoring, pitching and monthly results reports.
- Assist in the organization of special events with senior government officials and private sector executives
- Work closely with our Washington, DC Communications team to support strategy development and increase visibility of the Council and its brand
- Contribute to the overall development of the Council with ideas and proposals for future communication initiatives as required.
- Under the supervision of the Singapore Manager, work closely with the Council’s Washington, DC-based membership team to identify, research and track recruitment of prospective members
- Accompany CEO, SVP and/or Membership Director on all membership meetings, draft minutes for internal circulation, and ensure follow-up
- Support onboarding of new member companies and member representatives, facilitating introductions to our teams
- Develop strong relationships with members based in the region and maintain an overview of their key priorities in the region, ensuring that SVP and regional colleagues stay updated
Qualifications and Requirements
This role is best suited for someone early in his or her career, with a distinctly strong commitment to learning and growth. The ideal candidate will have 1-3 years of professional experience in a range of areas and capacities.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Political Science, International Relations, Marketing, Communications, Business Administration or related disciplines
- Singapore national or permanent resident preferred
- Highly organized and detail-oriented, with a strong ability to prioritize, manage deadlines, and handle multiple tasks concurrently
- Self-motivated and able to work both independently and with a diverse, cross-cultural regional team
- Excellent researching, writing, proofreading and presentation skills
- Ability to learn and process information quickly, and summarize it concisely and effectively
- Comfortable working under strict deadlines with a track record of success
- Excellent interpersonal skills with the ability to build and maintain strong relationships with senior business leaders, government officials, academics, think tanks and media
- Strong project and event management skills, with a willingness to take initiative and remain flexible
- Excellent IT skills including Microsoft Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint
- Clear understanding and ability to manage and protect confidential information
- Strong interest and experience in Southeast Asia, trade and international business, as well as a general knowledge of current affairs
A confidentiality agreement on proprietary information is required, as well as compliance with the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act.
To apply, please submit a resume and a cover letter to email@example.com. The cover letter should include information about your availability and a brief description of your professional goals. Clearly state in the subject line of your correspondence which position you are applying for.
Deadline for application is Friday, March 8, 2019. The successful candidate is expected to commence this role in April 2019 or sooner.