Reports to: Director - Membership and Business Development
Based in: Washington, D.C
For 35 years, the US-ASEAN Business Council has been the premier advocacy organization for U.S. corporations operating within the dynamic Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN), serving as the leading voice of the U.S. private sector in promoting mutually beneficial trade and investment relationships between the United States and the 10 countries of Southeast Asia. We support the businesses of our 150+ member companies through our eight offices in the U.S. and Southeast Asia by providing advocacy and intelligence and building key business relationships. The Council is the only American organization formally recognized in the ASEAN Charter, and it meets annually with the Finance, Trade and Energy Ministers at their annual meetings. We have a full-time staff of 42 divided almost equally between our U.S. and ASEAN offices.
The Membership and Business Development Associate will be joining the US-ASEAN Business Council at an exciting time. The Council has been growing rapidly. The Council’s membership represents many of the largest and most dynamic American companies but there are still many prestigious companies waiting to be recruited. The Council executed more than 280 events for our members in 2018 and will likely exceed this number in 2019. We now have full-time physical presence in the six largest economies in Southeast Asia, and with the addition of an associated organization in Yangon, Myanmar, the Council has regular member events in Myanmar as well.
The Membership and Business Development Associate will be tasked with building on this momentum and taking the Council to the next level by retaining its current membership base and adding net new members to the Council. Additionally, the successful candidate will work on developing revenue streams and assisting in the funding of key Council projects. He or she will execute the duties and responsibilities of the position with direction from the Director of Membership and Business Development.
Overall responsibility to assist in maintaining membership base, including:
- Track member activities, interests and engagement by maintaining accurate attendance records for Council events and programs, and encouraging staff to log member meetings, etc.
- Ensure accurate billing
- Ensure accurate and comprehensive databases with each executive’s contact information maintained and up-to-date.
- Assist with regular senior level Council engagement with each member and track these engagements
- Communicate with members collectivity and individually and ensure regular meetings with each member
- Promote Council services and events and value of membership to members regularly
- Produce monthly Members in the News Update for internal distribution to Council Staff
- Help meet or beat membership growth targets
- Help develop target members and execute plans to reach and convince these target members of the Council’s value proposition
- Grow total membership base
- Grow Chairman’s Council tier through upgrades and new members
- Develop creative marketing ideas with the Communications Director to build the value of the Council brand to attract prospective members
- Assist in Council fund-raising efforts
- Sponsorships for major events
- Sponsorships for reports
- Ambassadors’ Tours
- Assist with Business Mission attendance
- Assist with special projects and one-off events
- Prepare monthly Membership Report to be included in President’s Newsletter
- Assist with annual and periodic membership surveys
- Assist in maintaining and updating Membership portion of Council Website.
- Invoicing and Accounts Receivable
- In coordination with CFO and Membership Director, ensure annual membership dues invoices are issued to each member in a timely and accurate manner
- In coordination with CFO and Membership Director, ensure that sponsorship invoices are issued in a timely and accurate manner
- Assist in ensuring that invoices are paid by members and when they are not, follow up directly with members
- Ensure that each member has an accounting/invoice point person and maintain current and complete contact details
- The ideal candidate is an individual with a proven track record in membership development, sales and/or business development of 1-2 years, ideally including demonstrated entrepreneurial approaches to building membership. S/he is comfortable being part of a small organization and a close-knit management team
- An undergraduate degree is required with a major in Business Administration, Marketing, Accounting, International Relations, Foreign Service, Economics, East Asian Studies, or the equivalent work experience preferred.
- Exposure to and experience with American companies is preferred
- A minimum requirement for this U.S.-based position is the ability to work legally in the United States on a permanent basis (U.S. citizen, U.S. Permanent Resident, or Qualifying Asylee/Refugee)
- S/he must have the ability to interact diplomatically and professionally with all levels of corporate management from CEOs to executives and assistants
- The ideal candidate will have a proven ability to work on multiple tasks simultaneously and to meet or beat scheduled deadlines and must enjoy working in a demanding and fast-paced work environment and meet targets
- Must be fluent in English and demonstrate a proven excellence in written and oral English language communication either through prior work endeavors or through academia
- Excellent working knowledge of Internet research and MS Outlook, Word, Excel and PowerPoint are required.
- Must be willing to work outside of normal business hours as Council has offices in Southeast Asia and often does conference calls, including staff calls in evenings and early mornings
- Prior work in or study of Southeast Asia is preferred
In addition, the candidate must be:
- an independent worker
- highly organized
- energetic and enthusiastic
- unafraid of using the phone
Interested parties should send a cover letter and resume to email@example.com