The US-ASEAN Business Council (The Council) led its 6th consecutive delegation to the 27th ASEAN Transport Ministers Meeting and engaged top transport officials in a virtual consultation on November 11. The virtual consultation session was chaired by H.E. Sun Chanthol, Minister of Public Works and Transport of Cambodia, and the Council's Senior Vice President & Regional Managing Director, Ambassador (ret.) Michael Michalak. During the session, industry experts from the Council's membership provided an exclusive joint presentation on supporting ASEAN's efforts to stay adaptable to ensure the safe and sustainable movement of goods, people, and services across the region. The joint presentation also reaffirmed the U.S. Business Communities' commitment to assist ASEAN governments, especially in the transport sector, to promote economic recovery.
"As various ASEAN economies reopen and recover from the economic shocks of the COVID-19 pandemic, the transportation sector remains a key driver of growth, not only in moving people and goods across borders but also in ensuring road safety and in achieving a more sustainable future. At the same time, with rapid changes in technology, digital transformation in the transportation is also key in ensuring that ASEAN stays adaptable as its member states set their sights on recovery," said Amb. Michael W. Michalak. "The continued development of the transportation sector will be central in leading the ASEAN Member States towards a robust economic recovery. The Council's annual engagement at the ATM reflects the enduring commitment of the U.S. private sector in supporting a more resilient and sustainable future for ASEAN through improvements in the transport sector."
"The COVID-19 Pandemic has created the greatest challenges for not only the ASEAN region and the United States but also the around the world. Through effective, responsive measures, the world has been on the path towards socioeconomic recovery," said H.E. Sun Chanthol, Chair of the 27th ATM, in his opening remarks. "Our ASEAN Transport Ministers are now working towards a post-COVID-19 Recovery to ensure resilient and sustainable connectivity."
The following ministers and senior transport officials attended the Virtual Consultation:
- H.E. Dato Abdul Mutalib Yusof, Minister of Transport and Infocommunications, Brunei Darussalam
- H.E. Sun Chanthol, Senior Minister and Minister of Public Works and Transport, Cambodia
- H.E. Budi Karya Sumadi, Minister of Transportation, Indonesia
- Datu Isham Ishak, Secretary-General, Ministry of Transport, Malaysia
- H.E. Admiral Tin Aung San, Union Minister for Transport and Communications, Myanmar
- H.E. Timothy John R. Batan, Undersecretary for Railways, Department of Transportation, The Philippines
- H.E. S Iswaran, Minister of Transport & Minister-in-charge of Trade Relations, Singapore
- H.E. Le Anh Tuan, Vice Minister of Transport, Vietnam
- H.E. Dato Lim Jock Hoi, Secretary-General of ASEAN
USABC member companies participating in the virtual consultation session included 3M, Abbott, Autodesk, Boeing, FedEx, Harley-Davidson, Pernod Ricard, Oracle, Raytheon, Tesla, and UPS.